Monday, April 27, 2009

Surgery

After a year and a half of pain in the #$@# shoulder and multiple doctor visits, cortisone shot, MRI... etc., I finally decided to have arthroscopic surgery done on my frozen appendage. Lee drove me in on Friday morning where I met the nurses and changed into the beautiful hospital attire. I then was wheeled into the recovery room and given a nerve block by the anesthesiologist and then put under general anesthesia for the procedure. When I came around my left arm was totally numb from the block, so I was feeling no pain. I underwent one round of assisted PT on Friday afternoon and another on Saturday morning. I spent the night in a not so comfortable hospital bed being hooked up to a cryo-cuff which circulates ice water. Saturday I was anxious to get home, but feeling nauseous from the anesthesia. Luckily they let me go home after lunch and I spent the rest of the day resting. Sunday I woke up feeling 100% better and was able to get out and enjoy the warm summer temps.
Since I went thru a similar procedure (no surgery though) on my other shoulder, I was anticipating lots of pain and a long road of PT. Well... I am so pleasantly surprised that my movement is coming back quickly and I am virtually pain free already. The doctor removed lots of scar tissue and shaved a bone slightly to give one of my tendons free motion. I had my sutures removed this morning and my first round of PT which went extremely well. Hopefully I'll be swimming at the lake this summer :)

1 comment:

Maine Pragers said...

That is definately good news! We are all praying for a quick recovery. Love you!

Kevin and Amy